Wednesday, July 21, 2004

It's harder sometimes...

For the people around us to deal with our problems than it is for us ourselves. Because they're not actually experiencing it, they have to take what we tell them and blend it with what they've read or seen on TV or heard about, and often, that stuff isn't realistic at all. When I first got with Dee, I told her as much as I knew about everything that was wrong with me in as much detail as I could before she even moved in with me. I guess I was afraid that when she found out about my depression and phobias, etc., that she'd realize it is too much for anyone to handle. The only thing I didn't really tell her about was the DID and that's mainly because I didn't really know what it was or why I acted the way I did. But when I did find out, I told her everything that I found out, and sent her some websites to read...and even then, she knew but didn't really know, because not too long after that we watched the movie "Identity" I believe it was, and she was like...'aren't you glad you just have DID and not multiple personalities?'  And I sat there for a minute, then took a deep breath and broke the news to her that it is exactly the same thing, just DID is the newer name for it now.  She was pretty shocked but pulled it together fast. :)  And it gave me a chance to tell her all the things about the movie that weren't accurate, that were overdramatized. So at least it opened discussion.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

The hard part for me is trying to help Melvin realize I am still Jenny Jenny while I am trying new medicines and there "ups and downs". He got warned what to do about me committing suicide.

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.